Thursday, May 27, 2010

Breathe Festival in Itacaré, Brazil


I'm sitting at the airport in Salvador right now, waiting for my next flight to Lisbon.
I spent 9 days here in Brazil at the Breathe Festival in Itacaré, Bahia, and it was an amazing experience.....
Check out their site for more info about them: http://www.breathefoundation.org/

As Swatch was a sponsor for this event, me and some other team riders could go down there to check it all out and paticipate.
We planted trees, visited schools, went bird watching, walked in the jungle and much more....
I could write pages and pages but I think the most important is what I've learned on that trip and I've learned quite a bit and it opened my eyes....
Itacaré is definitely not a moden city, no its a little village that tries to live out of tourism. People live in wooden houses, some in better ones, some in houses that don't look like houses to me....most of them walk every where cause they can't afford a car, the ones that can afford a bike or a horse are lucky.
They don't know what to do with their trash so they just throw everything in a whole, away from where people could see it.
All people I've met have been supper nice to me, trying to help when needed, and I do understand portugese now...;-) I was surprised they understood my spanish so well...;-)

It made me realize that you can be happy with nothing....when we visited that school those kids were just sooo happy to see us, we brought them food and cooked for them and I think they will remember that day for a while. Everyone wanted to play with my I-phone, and take pictures with our cameras ...it was amazing to see and I've learned that I'm supper lucky with where I grew up, with all the possiblities I was given to in my life and that most of the people in this world don't have what I have.....
Some videos will be up soon too and I will post the links to them as soon as they are out;-)

Now it's picture time;-)


One little girl from that school we visited...they jumped in our cars and hold on to the cars when we wanted to leave.....


Some trash right next to the school.....


In the Jungle.....doesn't that look amazing?


The other side of town....amazing houses all over....this was our Swatch Team house in Itacaré.


Some houses next to the school.....


At a cacao farm....with our new friend just watching us;-)


xoxo,
Mirjam

2 comments:

  1. it is always confronting when you have experiences like that. me too, i was already in that position in senegal and indonesia. it always puts you right back with your feet on the ground and makes you realize there are a lot of people out there who have to cope with a lot less than we do. and it is just amazing how glad those people are when you just visit them or help thm out in every smallest way. i think we all can learn a lot from them.

    btw nice pictures. have a nice flight to Lisbon.
    peace out,
    ©bruno

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had an amazing experience. We just missed each other as I was in Brazil for a few months as well. Love the pics!
    Hope to ski with you again in Chile one day. Any plans to make it back down here?

    David O
    PowderQuest

    ReplyDelete